Thursday, March 25, 2010

We Finally Met the New Baby on the Block!!!

These thoughts have just been floating around my head all day and I needed to get them out…

I try to thank each member of New Kids on the Block as often as I can, whenever I can.   Thanks to the power of twitter some members have seen my gratitude more than others.  I usually thank them for bringing me friends I never in a million years thought I would have met or all the happy times they have brought me over the past two years.  The normal response is usually ::insert Donnie’s accent here:: “no thank YOU!”  In the beginning, I always wondered if they truly understood how much this reunion meant to a lot of us.  Today…I know they do.  My prime example one Mr. Joey McIntyre.

It was just a normal early Thursday morning.  I was driving home from class, when Jess gave me a call.  She told me Rhys’ debut was sitting on some store shelves!  I was beyond excited.  I mean, look how adorable Griffin is.  There is no way Joe and Barrett would be able to produce anything, but a cute kid.  She warned me that there was a slight twist to this story though.  Seems little Rhys has severe hearing loss.  My initial reaction was a twinge of sadness for the McIntyre clan, but I needed to read the article.

When I got home, a few people had RTd twitpics of the article and I was able to finally look at it.  First, I looked at the pictures.  Freaking adorable.  He’s a little man! So, so cute.  Then I read the article.  Not going to lie.  I bawled.  Not out of sadness or pity, but out of happiness.  The quote that got me was Joe talking about his son, “Rhys’ hearing loss is part of who he is and he’s amazing.”  Wow.  It’s amazing the positive outlook the McIntyre’s have on this situation.  They are not letting this little set back define the rest of Rhys’ life, because it doesn’t have too.

After I read the article, I stopped and thought of the time frame.  December 13th.  The week before the House of Blues concert.  The one Joe was still in attendance for.  Was he for real?  They did not even know the full results yet, but he was still at the concert.  It was amazing he made it anyway, but the fact that he must have been under so much stress and still showed up… amazed me.

The House of Blues concert could have been enough, but he set up his own tour and let’s not forget the whole MacPac drama.  This man was on a crazy emotion filled rollercoaster and he still showed up.  He did not disappoint.  In January, he put on amazing performances throughout the Northeast (even if he did forget the words to his own songs…*shake my head*), met with fans and even threw after parties.   He didn’t have to do any of this, but he did.  He did it for us…and maybe a little for him.  Like he says, without us there is no him.  It just amazes me at how driven he is and that makes me heart swell with happiness.

With that, I want to congratulate the McIntyre family on their latest bundle of joy.  Rhys is truly one cute babe.  Griff is definitely going to be a cool older brother.  Look how supportive he is already, “Cool hearing aids, Rhys-y.”  *sigh* I love this family. There is no doubt in my mind two little McIntyre boys will be household names when they are older.  
The McIntyres!
Baby Rhys! Such a cutie!
Daddy, mommy and baby!

I'm loving how unimpressed Griffin looks here. So adorable.
“Cool hearing aids, Rhys-y.”

4 comments:

  1. Seriously - I thought the exact same thing today...playing out all the dates in my head - how the heck he was able to do all that. Plus nevermind having to leave Barrett at home to deal with it...I'm sure it was hard on both of them. Joe is amazing to keep going for us and Barrett is amazing to sacrifice her husband for a couple of weeks during this trying time. I heart both of them and those cutie patootie boys of theirs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admit you werent the only one thinking about the time frame in which Joe did everything. Part of me also feels selfish for wanting him to do more shows, parties,etc. when he was going through all this at home. It also shows the amazing people Barrett and Joe are. I would like to think I would be as strong as the two of them but I honestly cant say I would be and not tell people so they understood why I just couldnt attend shows or let my husband leave my side at such trying times. I admire the McIntyre's more than I did before and wish them the best of luck but must admit with such positive attitudes they dont need luck, just love, which they already have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said ladies. I knew I wasn't the only one feeling this way today, I just had to write it out and share. At this point, if all five of the guys wanted to take a break after this summer I really wouldn't be mad. They have given up about two and a half years of their lives (and their families' lives) to satisfy us. They amaze me.

    Jamie, I would love to think I would be strong enough to say, "Oh yes husband, I'll just give birth and you hop on a plane a week later" and then find out wait out results by myself with two kids. However, I KNOW I am not that strong and I have to tip my hat to Barrett. She is one strong lady.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow I have so many thoughts and I am not sure if this response is going to make sense because I am feeling and thinking so much. First Joe did not have to share his story with the world, but once again he has let us into a part of his life he didn't have to. That shows me something that I could never put into words. The fans are his extended family in a way. Also for him to share his story takes courage, many people wouldn't share something like this with the world and for that I applaud them, because of them people will read their story and maybe just maybe the world will become more accepting of people. Like all of you I cried, but it wasn't out of sadness it was because my heart was filled with love. I instantly re-fell in love with Joe, and with his family. They are amazing. Unlike most families that have children these two have embraced the challenge they face and have become proactive in the cause. My favorite part of the whole article is when Barrett said he knows our voices, and how they both had tears in their eyes. Because that was truly the first time their son heard their voices, what a moment that must have been for the two of them. I know with the way the world works Rhys will hear Joe's music, and he will grow up to be a cool kid. Barrett is right school is tough enough without the added pressure of being different, but believe that I look at my students and think if only their parents were like the McIntyre's their children would be on a different road then they are on today.
    To Barrett I am sorry that we have been so selfish and wanting more of Joe. We have had more of him then we deserve. While he was giving himself to us, he should have been with you and like most I wanted more, and I suddenly don't want more. Thank you for allowing him to be with him when you truly didn't know the finial diagnoses of your son.
    To Joe thank you for giving yourself to us unconditionally. You flew to Boston and a horrific snow storm while your son was being test for hearing loss, to put on an amazing show for the fans. All who would have understood if you had stayed home to be with your wife after giving birth to your second son. Not one of us would have complained if you weren't there. Not only did you give us an amazing night but a month later you put on an amazing solo tour, wow. I can't imagine what you were feeling or thinking. All I can say is sorry for wanting more and thank you for all you have given me. Not just this year but since 1986 when you came into my life.
    Wow I didn't realize I had that much to say. Thanks for giving us a place to see we are all feeling and thinking the same way.

    ReplyDelete